Clara's Quick Facts
- The Clara White Mission was founded in 1904 but traces its origins to the 1880s.
- Former slave Clara English White fed hungry neighbors from her home.
- The Mission helps feed over 10,000 homeless men, women and children every year.
- The Mission is a community center, stimulating economic development through educational programs, daily feedings, advancement and more.
- Jacksonville's only veteran Drop-In Day Center is located on our campus, offering supportive services to homeless veterans in need.
- The graduation rate of the Mission’s educational program is 90%.
Clara White Mission
It was founded by a former slave whose compassion for humanity moved her to action. The Mission has existed for more than 100 years, dedicated to serving the needs of the less fortunate in our community. It is the Clara White Mission, and after more than a century of service, we remain devoted to the humanitarian goals pursued so selflessly by our founder.
The Clara White Mission offers more than meals for the hungry and transitional housing for the homeless. We offer hope and a way out of the misery of a life on the streets. Yes, we provide food and housing, but we also offer vocational programs to put people to work. Our goal is to restore those in need to meaningful, dignified lives in the community.
Today and In The Future
To continue our rich legacy of service, the Clara White Mission depends on those caring and generous enough to help us achieve our goals. To continue offering our wealth of invaluable programs, we need the support of those whose hearts are moved by the face of a hungry child or the determination of a dispossessed family to turn their lives around. Please help us continue our work today and in the future.